Solar energy is the energy obtained from the sun that is harnessed and converted to thermal energy or electricity. In its simplest terms, solar energy, as the name suggests, can be defined as the energy received from the sun. If you wish to know how solar energy works in brief, then note that the energy or the power from the Sun is collected with the help of solar panels and used to produce electricity. It is also proved that solar energy is better as compared to the energy created from other sources. So exactly what are some advantages of solar energy? Let us take a look at solar energy pros and cons in detail.
Advantages of Solar Energy
The following are the advantages or benefits of solar energy.
- One of the biggest advantages of solar energy is that it is a renewable source of energy. Energy can be produced as long as the sun lasts, which is for next millions of years. Therefore, solar energy can truly be called as a long lasting source of energy.
- As electricity is directly developed from solar energy, there is no scarcity of the raw material, i.e., the sunshine. It is found in abundance.
- Solar cells are easy to install, can be installed on rooftops and hence, no extra space is needed. Generation of energy in small scale, on individual user basis, is also possible.
- The solar panels are noiseless and stationary. They also require very little maintenance.
- Solar energy can be produced in any part of the world, at any place where abundant sunlight is available.
- One of the most important environmental advantages of solar energy is that it is a non-polluting source of energy as there are no emissions of carbon dioxide or other gases during the production of electricity.
- Due to the above mentioned reason, solar energy does not pose any threat to the environment and hence, is also known as a clean source of energy.
- When thinking of the economic advantages of solar energy, then one should note that apart from the initial installation cost, solar energy generation and use is free. There are no charges and bills to tend to!
- The prices of coal, natural gas and oil and other fossil fuels are prone to increase constantly. Solar energy, on the other hand, is free.
- Solar energy can be used for cooking, heating water, and also to operate different electricity based appliances at home or offices.
- Lastly, one of the other major benefits of solar energy is that this renewable energy is healthy, safe and easier to use at homes, offices or on larger scales.
Now that you know what are the advantages of solar energy, you must be wondering are there any disadvantages or cons of solar energy? Then the answer is yes, there are some negative aspects of this source of energy. Let us know more on it
Disadvantages of Solar Energy
There are only a couple of disadvantages or cons of solar energy.
- The initial cost of installation of the solar cell is quite high. However, one needs to invest only in the installation and later the electricity is for free.
- Solar energy cannot effectively work in cold countries due to scarcity of sunlight. Also, it is less effective in rainy seasons and cold climates. Also, solar energy can only be produced during the day, and not at night.
- For large scale applications, larger area and higher investment is necessary, which may not be met easily.
After knowing the advantages and disadvantages of solar energy, we conclude that the advantages or the pros are more as compared to cons and hence, we can say that solar energy is one of the best source of energy. Although not used in a large scale today, solar energy has the potential to produce more than thousand times of electricity that is currently required in the whole world. Therefore, it is necessary to create awareness about the benefits of solar energy for a better future!