Solar energy, as the name suggests, is the energy derived from the sun. Majority of people are mesmerized as to how solar energy works? How is the energy emitted from the sun trapped and used? In the simplest terms, it can be said that the energy emitted by the sun is harnessed and converted to thermal energy or electricity with the help of the solar panels. These solar panels are installed in the areas where the solar energy is required. Wish to know some interesting solar energy facts? Let us take a look at it in detail.
Solar Energy Facts and Information
- Horace de Saussure, a Swiss scientist, was the inventor of the world’s first solar energy collector, also called as ‘hot box’ in 1767.
- In the late 15th century, the famous scientist and inventor Leonardo Da Vinci had thought of the use of solar energy to heat water by using concave mirrors.
- The photovoltaic cells help in conversion of solar radiation (sun rays) to electricity. You can take a look at how solar power works to know more on this subject.
- One of the major facts about solar energy is that it is a renewable source of energy. As the sun is the only source of this energy, it is possible to generate energy and electricity as long as the sun prevails..
- One of the facts that can be includes in facts solar energy for kids is that the sun is estimated to last for another 5-6 billion years. That means solar energy is as good as non-extinguishable.
- Secondly, unlike the fossil fuels, solar energy is a non polluting source of energy, i.e., no harmful pollutants and wastes like gases are produced when solar energy is generated.
- When talking of the facts about solar energy, it is essential to mention that this energy is cheaper as compared to other forms of energy. Apart from the initial cost, one does not have to pay anything for generating and using the solar energy.
- Another solar energy facts for kids is that this energy is safer and easier to use at home, offices and industrial areas.
- The solar panels are noiseless, smokeless and clean to use.
- The prices of fossil fuels keep on increasing. However, once installed (keeping aside the installation cost), the solar energy is relatively free.
- Solar energy can be used in several appliances like solar cooker, solar water heater, solar powered cells, calculators, solar powered cars, etc.
- The Arnstein solar electric plant, in Bavaria, Germany, is the largest solar energy system in the world which generates around 12MW energy which is provided to 3,500 households.
- The Mojave Desert in North America has the world’s largest solar power plant which covers around 1000 acres of solar reflectors.
- Although, in the solar energy advantages and disadvantages, it is mentioned that the solar energy production is not possible in cold countries, contradictory to it, there are instances where solar panels can be used in cold countries like the CIS tower in Manchester.
- One of the most important advantages of solar energy is that it is safe for the environment as well as human beings. The generation and utilization of this energy does not harm anyone in anyway.
- Lastly, one of the most interesting solar energy facts is that the Sahara dessert alone can produce approximately 400-500 TW electricity, which can provide electricity to the whole world.
I hope these solar energy facts were helpful to you. You can also go through solar energy pros and cons for more information on this subject. Lastly, it can be truly said that solar energy is a boon to human beings.